Highfield Level 1 International Award in Health and Safety for Construction Labourers and site visitor
Learners gaining this qualification will understand that keeping safe on the construction site is everyone’s responsibility. The topics covered include health and safety, working at height, excavations, fire safety, welfare facilities, confined spaces, personal protective equipment (PPE) and first aid requirements.
• State the role and responsibilities of a site operative
• Identify basic on a site welfare and first aid requirements.
• State the safety procedures in the event of a fire.
• Identify what personal protective equipment (PPE) is required on site and who is responsible for this.
• Identify the importance of correct and safe manual handling
• Identify an operative’s responsibilities when dealing with plant and machinery.
• State how to use a ladder safely
• Identify an operative’s responsibilities when working at height (including the safe use of scaffolding and fall protection equipment).
• State best practice for basic lifting operation when using lifting equipment.
• Identify the requirements when working in confined space and excavations.
• State what safety principles need to be followed when using hazardous substance.
• Identify safety principles when working in noisy environments.
• State the cause, effective and safety principles relating to hand arm vibration.
• State organizational and legal responsibilities relating to the use of drugs and alcohol on site.
• Give examples of how to protect members of the public from site operations.
• Identify the benefits of health screening.